Want to start a blog in India and make money with it? Then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will see the complete steps involved in creating a blog in India and how we can make a living only by blogging. I will be covering both the free and premium methods so that you can choose from both.
One of the biggest myths about blogging is that you need to be a better writer. But that is the biggest misconception of blogging. Each blogger has a different style of writing, you don’t need to be a pro in writing. You will surely get readers because each user loves different varieties of content. They often read the blog to get information, if your blog has enough information about the niche you’re targeting, then of course you will receive the audience you seek.
There is really only one Requirement to be successful as a blogger: a passion for your niche.
Before getting in, there is both a free and premium method to start a blog in India. First, we will see the Free method and later move on to the Premium method. If you want to skip the free method, just click here.
- 1 Start A Blog for free in India
- 2 Steps to Start A Blog in India and make money with it.
- 3 Choosing a Domain Name
- 4 Get the right Hosting in India
- 5 Installing and customizing your blog
- 5.1 What is WordPress?
- 5.2 How to install WordPress in hosting?
- 5.3 What are WordPress themes or templates?
- 5.4 How to install WordPress themes or templates
- 5.5 Premium WordPress templates vs free WordPress themes
- 5.6 Customizing the theme:
- 5.7 Plugins
- 5.8 Checklist For Installing and Customizing Blogs
- 6 SEO for Your Blog
- 7 Making money with your blog
- 8 Conclusion.
- 9 FAQ’s
Start A Blog for free in India
If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know that I do not recommend creating a blog on free platforms because it’s not the best option if you want to be serious about your business.
What I have been observing is that many people are afraid to invest to create their own blog in WordPress and they make excuses:
- It is difficult to install, so I better not invest.
- It is difficult to maintain, so I better not invest.
- What if I don’t keep up with the publication rate later? Better not invest.
- I’m not a designer, so I better not invest.
- This is not going to help me in my business, so I better not invest.
The first thing I’m going to tell you is that the investment to set up your own blog with WordPress is about ₹ 2000 – ₹ 3500 at most:
- A domain name (in Namecheap you can find them from about Rs. 700 / year).
- A hosting or web hosting (at HostGator, my trusted provider, you can get a hosting plan for about Rs. 2,388 / year, with a 50% discount for being a Techi5 Blog Reader).
- Optional (but important) – A premium template optimized for SEO.
So you decide it and proceed to read.
A FREE BLOGGER HAS ITS ADVANTAGES, THAT’S WHY I’M GOING TO TELL YOU HOW TO CREATE A BLOG ON GOOGLE.
In life, nothing is black or white. Normally it is one of the multiple shades of gray.
Although Blogger is not my preferred platform, I started my journey in the world of blogging on this platform. That is why I think I understand the reasons that may lead you to choose it.
The advantages that Blogger has, and they are actually the ones that have made me decide to write this article on how to create a blog on Google, are:
- Easy to create and manage.
- Lots of support and stability from Big G.
- It’s free.
- It serves as skills training to be a good blogger.
- In the technical section, I like it much more than the free WordPress blogs, because when it comes to migrating to your own blog with domain and hosting, the import seems simpler and of course, it is cheaper (free).
- You can preserve the positioning of your Blogger blog if you transfer it to WordPress with your own hosting.
- Blogger connects with the entire Google network.
- It allows us to include affiliate links and advertising (the free WordPress platform does not, at least until now).
STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO CREATE A FREE BLOG ACCOUNT
After all, let’s get to the point because I suppose that at this point, either you have already gone to set up your blog with the WordPress section, or you will be wanting to see how to create a blog on Google.
Well, you will see how simple it is
STEP 1: Create your Blogger Account.
Go to www.blogger.com and you will see a screen like this:
Click sign in and log in with your Google account. Then click Create New Blog. you will see an image like this.
STEP 2: Choose a Name for your Blog.
Here just choose the name of your blog and click NEXT. You will see an image like this.
STEP 3: Choose a URL for your Blog.
Here enter the URL of your blog, this is the URL that you will share with everyone. so please make it a brandable or SEO optimized title. After entering the URL, just click the NEXT button, you will see an image like below.
STEP 4: Confirm Your Display Name.
Here enter your display name, this name will be showed to your readers of the blog. so make it most related to your Niche and click FINISH.
yahoo!! Your Free Blogger account is Created.
STEP 5: Start Messing Around.
Now it’s up to you to research, test, write articles, upload photos, make mistakes, and learn.
This is the best way for you to familiarize yourself with the Blogger platform.
I have already taught you how to create a blog on Google. If you get a taste of it and find it useful for your business, you may want to switch to WordPress with your own hosting.
Here are the other free Blog platforms list, you can create a free blog with them.
Now we will move on to the Premium Part, where you will consider your blog as a Business.
Steps to Start A Blog in India and make money with it.
- Choosing a Domain Name.
- Get the right Hosting in India.
- Installing and customizing your blog.
- SEO for Your blog and article.
- Making money with your blog.
Choosing a Domain Name
So now let’s see some strategies to choose your domain name. To find that perfect name, there are basically three different approaches :
1. Personal brand strategy
In my case, an example could be hameedaslam.com, in fact, I have this domain name registered, although I do not use it at the moment. This approach fits, above all, in blogs where the main objective is to strengthen the author’s personal brand around a professional activity.
It is an approach that suits activities where the person is the main protagonist such as consulting services or lecturer activities.
A very clear example of this is, for example, Neil Patel’s blog:
Neil Patel’s website is a very clear example of a website aimed at a personal brand.
2. Brand name strategy
An example of this strategy is this same website: Wolfshub.com. Here it has opted more for a brand that is not a personal brand because it sought more the “branding” of the site, created an independent brand of the authors, and not so tied to a specific person.
This does not mean that the blog does not serve to develop the personal brand of its authors, but in that case logically the brand of the site and/or the organization (company, etc.) behind it will prevail.
3. Niche name strategy
This is a very “SEO” approach that tries to take advantage of the weight of keywords in a domain. It can be perfectly compatible with a brand.
We have compiled a list of 1800+ Niche ideas list. It may help you in choosing a Niche.
In our case, taking into account the weight of the blogging and WordPress themes, we could have called the blog, for example, also “Blogs & WordPress”, with a domain such as blogsywordpress.com.
Which domain extension is best for you?
Regarding the type of domain extension, the general concept is that it is advisable to get a .com domain, due to its image and because it seems that it is still advantageous at the SEO level, although not as much as in the past.
Anyway, the topic of the influence of the domain extension in the positioning of the search engine is very difficult. Google does not give clear guidelines on this and, in addition, it frequently updates its algorithm. If you want to go deeper and stay up to date on these things, I recommend the Moz blog.
If a name is not available in your .com extension, it is not recommended to purchase it for another domain extension (.net, .org, etc.).
And if your website is very focused on a specific geographical area, you can consider using the domain of the corresponding country (.in for India, .de for Germany, etc.). Here, there is still enough evidence that this favors positioning in the respective country.
The most preferred domain extension is .com.(It’s always best to choose .com since it gives you authority and everyone knows this extension as the main domain). If you plan to get traffic from only local traffics then you can choose a country-based one.(Eg .in, .es.)
Best Domain Registrars:
- Namecheap – Namecheap is always my favorite domain registrar for the past few years. But it’s really a pain in the ass for Indians to purchase from NameCheap. it accepts only credit card and sometimes with luck, it will accept PayPal with debit card.
- Porkbun – Porkbun was known to me for the past few months. They have the cheapest prices for their domains in the entire market. Cheapest prices mean not like some stupid companies which give you domains for 1$ for the first year and then double to triple the renewal fees up to 30$. Their Renewal prices are also very competitive in the market. Currently, they are giving 3 domains for each user at the price of just 4.15$ averaging 300 INR. Make use of it.
- Namesilo. – Namesilo is another trusted Domain Registrar company like Namecheap. prices are very competitive in the market.
If you’re not familiar with the above 3 companies or their payment methods are not suitable for you as an Indian, Then you can purchase a domain in GoDaddy as the only last option. They do support Indian Payment Gateways such as Netbanking, UPI, Wallets through CCavenue, an Indian Payment Gateway.
Some sites give you domains at 80% off, always beware of these providers, because during the second year or third, when you renew they will triple the fee. OR the transfer fee is very huge. This is a stupid trick played by some big giants in the market to get you in.
Checklist for Purchasing a Good Domain Name.
- Thumb Rule, try to keep the domain name as short and preferred as possible, not like: seo-marketing-blog.com (it’s unattractive and spammy).
- If it’s not a brand name, Then try to include a keyword in your domain name. For example, Techi5host.com or Techi5shop.com.
- If you have enough money, then try to purchase other extensions like country-specific. Because I know personally if a domain is getting famous, then many will register other extensions and when you really need them, it will costs you thousands of dollars.
If it’s a Fresh domain, then prepare for sandbox 3-5 months (nowadays, it’s really hard to get indexed and rank, rarely the search engine algorithm gives trust to new sites).
If it’s an Expired domain, recently,I see no big change in Google but, after 2-3 months, it still works well in Bing in indexing and rankings.
If you decide to go for an expired domain, then look for a domain that has no drops in the past, niche relevant, and has at least 100-150 Referring domains with 10 quality backlinks. Always buy from trusted and reputed sellers. Regarding the budget, don’t be very tight, if not you will lose your money.
- Visit NameCheap or Godaddy.com
- Search for your desired domain name.
- Make sure the domain doesn’t contain any symbols in it and more than ‘xx’ in it. These will increase the spam score.
- Now select the extensions you need. Always keep .com as top priority and if its not available move to a different name. if you’re targeting local country audience, then you can get the country extensions like .in . but make sure the .com version of the domain doesn’t have any branded website. This will result in either your audience going to the .com website or the .com website owner if already has the trademark for the name. he may copyright strike your website.
- After selecting the extension, register the domain with your domain. make sure your domain registrar provides WHOIS privacy. Namecheap and porkbun provides free Privacy protection.
Now that you have got your Domain Registered and ready, we will move to the next step purchasing the right hosting in India.
Get the right Hosting in India
It solely depends on what you intend on doing, and how much traffic you will get.
For newbies, you can select a shared hosting and once you get traffic, you can move to a VPS and further dedicated server or cloud services.
Some Other things to consider for hosting,
- What are the skills you have in setting up a host or VPS?
- How many websites you expect to have.
In my 4 years experience, my favorite hustings are,
Bluehost – One of the most trusted hosting provider around the world.
HostGator – Cheaper option in the list and the Best one.
A2hosting – Their turbo boost shared hosting is always the one favorite I prefer for all my clients.
They use solid-state drive SSD. This is much more important than it seems, especially when we talk about ranking a website. They are one of the 10 largest hosting companies in the world. Read the A2hosting India Review Here.
Note*: Any decent hosting will work in the beginning; once you get some investment return, you can always move to a high-end one.
As people get bored easily, hosting is an important thing; we live at a century of speed. Use Cloudflare with the Wp Rocket extension if you can not afford proper hosting, and it will help. They provide free CDN security+global.
To get a high discount from my suggested hosting companies, use the links below,
This method shows how to purchase hosting from A2hosting. The method will be similar to other hostings too.
Visit A2hosting.com and Get started with Shared hosting.
Then click the ‘I will use my existing domain and update Nameservers‘ Radio button and enter your Domain name.
In product checkout page, just select the Asia Server if your Audience is from India or select whatever server that is nearer to your target audience.
Now click the continue button and pay with your preferred payment method. Congrats, Now you have got both domain and hosting.
Now that you have hosting, we will see how to point your domain to the purchased hosting.
If your purchased hosting is from A2hosting, your nameservers will be like
If you have purchased the domain from Godaddy, follow the steps to point the nameservers.
- Log in to your GoDaddy account.
- On my products page, you will see your domain. just click the DNS button left side of the domain.
- Now you will see a page with the heading DNS Management, just go to the middle of the page, you will find a section as Nameservers.
- Now click the change button, select the ‘Enter my own nameservers’ Option.
- Then in nameserver field, enter the each nameservers of your hosting.
- Now click Save button. That’s All.
It will take a maximum time of 48 hours for the domain to propagate to your hosting. but rest assured, most of the times it took just 1-2 hours from my experience.
In next step we will see about installing WordPress and customizing it.
Installing and customizing your blog
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a software used for Creating blogs, Ecommerce and many other types of day to day websites. Its a open source software, it means you can use it for absolutely free.
How to install WordPress in hosting?
Most of the hostings I recommended above already have an option called softaculous Apps installer in your cpanel (control panel).
Just click the installer, select the WordPress option, and enter the details of your website and just click Install. A brand new WordPress website is ready.
Now we move on to installing WordPress themes and plugins.
What are WordPress themes or templates?
A WordPress template or theme is a set of files that give a layout and a specific design to your website made with the WordPress content management system.
In this way, you can create your website without having knowledge of coding or programming knowledge, just by changing the frontends.
The websites where you purchase themes or download the theme usually have a preview or demo to see how the website looks. This gives you confidence in purchasing the themes.
And when you install it, you can easily change the texts, colors, and images thus giving WordPress the easiest CMS to create a website all time.
However, you should not always use the demo template as it is in the demo. You should change the colors and contents and make it look unique. It’s always best to have a unique website design. Because if more websites have the same theme, then it will decrease the user’s trust of your website, also google loves unique content.
Elementor gives the best option to change the theme according to your needs or it allows us to create designs from scratch. It also has multiple designs for you to choose from.
How to install WordPress themes or templates
Once you select the theme that you’re going to use, then you have to install it in the wp-admin.
you have two options here:
- Installing a WordPress theme from the official WordPress repository.
- Install a previously downloaded WordPress theme or template in a compressed .zip file
1. Install a WordPress template from the official repository
WordPress has its own gallery of free templates that you can use on your blog.
To install a WordPress template from your repository, you just have to access the WordPress side menu and follow this path: Appearance> Themes> Add new. There you can see all the WordPress templates from the official CMS repository and install them in one click.
Note: Delete all the WordPress themes that you are not using to reduce the space on your hosting.
2. Install a downloaded WordPress theme
If you have finally decided to take a quality jump on your website with a premium WordPress theme or if you have downloaded a WordPress template from outside the official CMS repository, you will have a compressed file in .zip format with the template.
To upload and install it in your WordPress you will have to follow this path in your WordPress menu: Appearance> Themes> Add new> Upload Theme and select the compressed file with your WordPress template.
Once you have your template or WordPress theme installed, all you have to do is click “Activate” to make it your website template.
Premium WordPress templates vs free WordPress themes
The most crucial step for startups is selecting a theme or design for their websites.
The theme you select for your website will be there for years unless you decide to change later, changing a design of a website later is a difficult step or decision to take because you have traffic flowing to your websites and any malfunctions during the theme change can affect the website reputation very badly. So it’s best to select a theme at the start that you will use for years.
Many website owners have a mentality of “Why pay for something I can get for free?”
And this is where they miss a great treasure of quality of the website.
Undoubtedly, there are many free WordPress themes that are better (even better than a paid WordPress theme in websites like Themeforest), but without a question, a Premium WordPress theme will give an increase in quality to your website from the moment that you activate it.
However, don’t get carried away by the looks, images, or colors of WordPress themes. Rather, select a theme that is best in other important technical data too.
Here are some of the quality checklist, so that you do not make mistakes when choosing your WordPress theme or template:
- The theme is SEO Optimized.
- Has an easily customizable option.
- It is compatible with any plugins.
- Good Subscription plan.
- Very good Updates.
- Mobile Responsiveness.
- The loading speed of the theme is great.
- Good reviews for the theme.
And now, let’s see some of the best free and premium WordPress templates or themes on the market.
It goes without saying that all the themes mentioned below pass quality filters (the best option will be choosing a premium one than a free theme).
Many website owners these days make the same mistake as ten years ago, focusing only on graphics and visuals.
If users get to your website for information, they should get that content and not get distracted by the UI/UX.
The theme must be: Simple, fast, clean, fully responsive. If your theme is bulky and requires loads of 3rd party plugins, it will be a nightmare in the long term, not just for optimization purposes but also for the plugins and theme will conflict with each other sometimes, and your site will crash or look weird.
Best theme to consider:
As you can see, this website is created with GeneratePress. I love this theme because of its speed and simpleness but powerful if you’re considering your blog as a business. I always recommend my clients to use this theme for their blogs. And I am already using this theme on my other affiliate site too. This WordPress theme by default is less than 30 kb much lesser compared to many great themes in the market.
Other good ones:
Astra is built for speed. It is the lightest theme available on the market and provides unrivaled performance.
Schema is the ultra-SEO-friendly WordPress theme for the fastest loading.
Customizing the theme:
Colors of the website
User is influenced or attracted by the color schema of Your website, You can read it here
You can build your color schema quickly and with a wide range of color patterns here
- Are the user’s men, women, or kids?
Design the blog according to it. For example, If the blog is made for kids, then make sure the designs have more images in it and make texts a little big and bold.
- Are the users using mobile or desktop?
If most users use mobile for your niche content, then keep it as responsive as possible.
- What do the end-users want?
Users in your niche want images for infographics or a step by step tutorial or a tool or just informational articles? Just make your website according to it.
- Use pure white as your background of the image, this gives more trust to the users and always the best for user experience. Next to white, you can choose black or grey colors.
- A well-designed logo and an excellent color schema are all that you need to increase the reliability and it will transform your visitors into your potential customers.
The lower the plugin counts, the faster your website loads. A general rule of thumb is not to use more plugins unnecessarily. It will make your website load slow.
Another reason it’s a pain for your website because some plugins don’t work well with the theme or the basic WordPress features resulting in more loading time.
Some Must have plugins
- Wordfence – this plugin will increase your website security blocking any hacking attempts.
- WP-Optimize – Clean, Compress, Cache. – Optimizing the images, clearing the caches, and other minifications all done by a single plugin.
- Rank Math – The ALL in One SEO plugin on the market.
Some Plugins to Avoid
Better avoid any plugins that are built for
- Google analytics – you can simply insert the Analytics code into your theme.
- SSL – You can add the redirect from HTTP to https in your .htaccess.
It’s always best to avoid plugins like these for simple operations.
Checklist For Installing and Customizing Blogs
- Install WordPress.
- Install the GeneratePress theme.
- Install Wordfence Plugin.
- Install Rank Math Plugin.
- Install WP-Optimize – Clean, Compress, Cache.
Okay now we have made our website ready, we will move onto the SEO Part.
SEO for Your Blog
- Make the permalinks simple in settings – Domain.com/article-slug/
- Your Main Niche keyword should be the first menu of the site instead of a random menu like a home or about us pages.
- Make sure the website is mobile optimized. If it’s GeneratePress, Rest assured it’s the first theme I trust for Mobile responsiveness.
- Create social media handles like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and link them to your site to increase the trust of the users and also to gain authority from the crawlers visiting.
- Create a good attractive title and Tagline, instead of an ugly one.
Ugly title: Techi5 – Just Another Blog.
Attractive title: Techi5 – A Blogger’s, Youtuber’s, an Entrepreneur’s Best Friend!.
- Build an authority site by creating a video related to the specific site. It doesn’t matter if you used a text to video creators like InVideo, it will do the job in 10 minutes. You can create each video for each article with a subscription plan. Make sure the video has important points and is unique.
Keyword research is an important step for creating articles to get traffic for your blog.
What is a Keyword?
A keyword is a collection of words or a phrase that is used by someone to find or search something online.
Steps involved in keyword research.
- Build a master Keyword List.
Use various free or premium keyword research tools to build a big keyword list.
- Qualify Keywords.
Analyze the master keyword list based on search volume. For a new site choose keywords with volume 100-400.
- Prioritize the keywords
Prioritize the qualified keywords based on keyword difficulty. For a new site choose Keyword difficulty between 25-40.
- Choose two or three KW
Choose the main keyword and two or three other keywords from the prioritized keyword lists.
Some of the free or premium keyword research tools,
- Ahrefs (Premium)
- Google Keyword Planner (Free)
- Semrush (Premium and has a trial for 14 days)
- Ubersuggest. (Free plan is enough for keyword research)
- Answer the public ( Free plan is sufficient)
Where to place keywords in your article.
Make sure you have included your main keyword in the following
- Your Article Url.
- Your article Title.
- Your First Sentence.
- Your First Image ALT tag.
- Your image name.
- Your First header.
- Your Meta Description.
- Make sure you use correct placement for your keywords. Don’t just stuff the keyword very often and increase the spam score.
- For your other images alt tags, use Long tail keywords.
- For your other headings, use Longtail Keywords.
Structure of the Article.
- Start the article with a 100-150 words paragraph with your main keyword in it.
- Always use bullet lists and numbered lists.
- Make sure you add header tags (H2, H3, H4) at every 150-300 words.
- Always create attractive images or infographics for every heading.
- Try to Include twitter and youtube embeds.
- Try to Add internal links within every para if possible.
- Include 2-3 Authority outgoing links per article. This will increase the trust score of your site by the eyes of google.
- Add the Conclusion at the end of the article.
- Always write small sentences and break the paragraphs very often.
- If you’re linking to an external link in the article make sure it’s do-follow.
- Always edit the article and make the date of the article to the latest one.
- Build a list of email subscribers by giving a free ebook or any other resources to them for free. The list will help you build authority in the long term.
- As a beginner, try to create backlinks for each post. And once you start receiving traffic, you will automatically get backlinks. Make sure you keep track of the backlinks.
- Create social media handles for your website and link it to your website footer.
- Contact other bloggers in your niche and create a guest post in their blogs
- Create various types of backlinks for diversity.
- Always choose quality over quantity links.
Making money with your blog
There are different ways to monetize your blog once you start receiving traffic. The best way for beginners is to add a newsletter and collect emails from users. So you can send emails about the latest offers and articles.
The most famous way of monetizing your blog is using Google Adsense. You need to apply monetization and once it’s approved, you can add the ads code in your blog.
This method usually pays low compared to promoting affiliate content.
Write a detailed review of any product or service and add their affiliate link in your blog, if users get referred by you, you will receive a good amount of commissions. Most authority websites use this method for monetization.
If your website has enough authority, you will start receiving emails for writing guest posts and you can get a good amount for it based on your niche and traffic.
For more ways and a detailed guide, check this post on Make Money with Your Blog
- If you wish to create an authority site, make sure you use responsive ads. Don’t just add ads everywhere, this will result in an increase in the bounce rate.
- Make sure you add vertical ads in the sidebar, it will result in more clicks from desktop users.
- Try to avoid adding the first ad before the first paragraph, make your readers read the first paragraph, and increase the dwell time.
- Add square ads after the first paragraph.
- Add a horizontal one after the 4th paragraph. And for every 3rd paragraph add an ad.
- Before the conclusion part, add a horizontal ad.
- Also, my recommendation, try to add affiliate ads related to your article instead of Adsense. This will increase the revenue as well as more clicks.
- Optimize the ads according to your website. Some ads doest suit well for some sites, this will result in bad user experience.
- Make sure you don’t insert ads after the headers but after the first paragraphs of each header.
- Always try to increase the dwell time and reduce the bounce rate and increase user experiences.
- Exact Match Domains (eg baseketballforkids.com) will definitely work if the Domain is little branded(eg, adamsbaseketball.com).
- Always create posts on social media whenever you write an article. Because who knows if the posts can go viral. Also, this will increase authority.
- Buy backlinks periodically for each post until you reach an authority stage.
- Always don’t listen to advice from the gurus online, they may hide the essential trick from you. Join forums related to your niche to see what’s going on now in your niche.
- Make sure you upgrade your servers whenever you hit the traffic limit. Because If the site is down for even a few hrs, it may affect the search rankings.
- Don’t quit the journey because you’re not seeing the results. Many bloggers make this mistake. Make at least 40-50 Unique articles in your niche and interlink between them.
If you have read it until here, that’s awesome and it will motivate me if you just write a comment below about your thoughts on blogging.
Can I host my website for free?
Can you tell me how can I get free traffic?
Yes, start building links related to your niche with traffic. Just go to their comment section of the blog and tell about your blog. you will get free traffic with this method during starting.
Is it really worth it to start a blog in India?
Yes, of course. many millionaires from India have only blog income as their only income. Of course you can depend only on Blog once you start receiving traffic.
Which blog niche is best for earning money?
Blogs about Finance are usually the top niche making money. but also don’t even think to start blog on this niche. Multi Super Hard Competitive Niche.
When Should I start my Blog?
The sooner you get online, the faster you grow, the sooner you start shaping your blog, as it is an organic process. As you add posts and content, your blog will take time and will grow.
What is the difference between a blog and a website?
Blog is created only for content purposes and it will be update with posts very often. whereas a website for a business usually never changes its pages and its focused only on business. Now a days, most of the business websites have a blog in it.